In this post, I will show you how to download Intune Win32 content prep tool. The packaging tool converts application installation files into the .intunewin format.
The Win32 Content Prep Tool (IntuneWinAppUtil.exe) is also known as the packaging tool, which detects the parameters required by Intune to determine the application installation state. After you use this tool on your apps, you will be able to upload and assign the apps in the Microsoft Intune console.
Win32 app deployment is a great way to deploy Win32 apps with Microsoft Intune. This Win32 app management capability supports both 32-bit and 64-bit operating system architecture for Windows applications.
Steps to Download Intune Win32 Content Prep Tool
Use the following steps to download Intune Win32 Content Prep Tool on your computer.
- Launch the browser on your PC.
- Visit the Microsoft Win32 Content Prep Tool download link.
- Click on Code button and select Download ZIP.
- The Win32 Content Prep Tool is now downloaded to your computer.
You must extract the Microsoft-Win32-Content-Prep-Tool-master.zip to a folder using WinRAR or zip extractor. The extracted folder contains the IntuneWinAppUtil.exe and license terms for Win32 content prep tool.
To use the IntuneWinAppUtil.exe, launch the command prompt as administrator and change the path to the folder that contains the Win32 content prep tool. Run the command IntuneWinAppUtil.exe.
When you run the IntuneWinAppUtil.exe command, you need to input the details.
- Please specify the source folder – Enter the folder that contains your application setup files.
- Please specify the setup file – Enter the setup file which is your main application.
- Specify the output folder – The Win32 Content prep tool will place the final .intunewin file in this folder.
- Do you want to specify catalog folder – Type N.
Wait for a few minutes while the Win32 Content Prep Tool runs and converts application installation files into the .intunewin format.
Sample commands to use for IntuneWinAppUtil.exe
Listed below are some sample commands for Microsoft Win32 Content Prep Tool.
- IntuneWinAppUtil -v
- This will show the tool version (Only available starting version 1.8.2).
- IntuneWinAppUtil -h
- This will show usage information for the tool.
- IntuneWinAppUtil -c
-s -o <-q>
- This will generate the .intunewin file from the specified source folder and setup file.
- For MSI setup file, this tool will retrieve required information for Intune.
- If -a is specified, all catalog files in that folder will be bundled into the .intunewin file.
- If -q is specified, it will be in quiet mode. If the output file already exists, it will be overwritten.
- Also, if the output folder does not exist, it will be created automatically.
- If no parameter is specified, this tool will guide you to input the required parameters step by step.
Command-line parameters for IntuneWinAppUtil.exe
- -h Help
- -v Tool version (Only available starting version 1.8.2).
Setup folder for all setup files. All files in this folder will be compressed into .intunewin file.
- Only the setup files for this app should be in this folder.
- -s <setup_file> Setup file (e.g. setup.exe or setup.msi).
- -o <output_file> Output folder for the generated .intunewin file.
- -a <catalog_folder> Catalog folder for all catalog files. All files in this folder will be treated as catalog file for Win10 S mode.