Configuration Manager Technical Preview 2004 is out and comes with cool new features and improvements. If you regularly test the technical preview builds, you can install SCCM technical preview 2004 update in your lab.
You can either install the update 2004 over previous version i.e. 2003 or install baseline version first and then install the update. The latest SCCM technical preview build baseline version that you can download is version 2002.
To download the tech preview 2002 baseline version, go to this download link. Look for Microsoft Endpoint Configuration Manager (technical preview). Under Start your evaluation click continue and then Download.
The technical preview branch is strictly for use in a lab environment, therefore don’t install it in a production environment. To install the Configuration Manager technical preview 2004, you can follow my installation guide which is posted here.
Configuration Manager Technical Preview 2004 New Features
The SCCM technical preview 2004 comes with set of new features and improvements over previous release. Some of the new features in this release include.
- ConfigMgr 2004 Microsoft Notifications – This new feature lets you choose to receive notifications from Microsoft in the Configuration Manager console.
- Copy discovery data from the console – This is an amazing new feature in SCCM 2004 tech preview and most of us have been expecting it since long time. You can now copy discovery data from devices and users in the console. These new actions will help you to quickly get the data from the console.
- Support for PowerShell version 7 – The Configuration Manager PowerShell cmdlet library now offers support for PowerShell 7. While the PowerShell 7 is still in preview, but it is exciting to know this.
- Improvement to Format and Partition Disk task sequence step – You can use a task sequence variable to specify the target of the Format and Partition Disk step. This new variable option supports more complex task sequences with dynamic behaviors.
- SCCM 2004 Management insight rules for OS deployment – Two new management insights added in this release.
- PowerShell cmdlets for task sequence deployment types – You will find two new cmdlets for task sequence deployment types. Add-CMTaskSequenceDeploymentType and Set-CMTaskSequenceDeploymentType.
- Microsoft Endpoint Manager Tenant Attach – ConfigMgr client details – In the Microsoft Endpoint Manager admin center, you can now see client details such as collections, boundary group membership, and real-time client information for a specific device.
- CMPivot Improvements
In conclusion I don’t see any known issues listed for this release yet. So you can try all the features in your lab setup and submit the feedback if you find any issues.