In this post I will list the SCCM Distribution Point prerequisites. A SCCM distribution point (DP) is a Configuration Manager server role where packages are stored for later distribution.
SCCM Distribution points play a key role in the delivery of packages, programs, endpoint protection
updates, applications, software updates, and operating system deployment (OSD).
When you distribute the content to a distribution point, clients connect to DPs for installation source files. They can either run from the DP, or downloaded to cache, and then run.
Note – When the distribution point transfers content, it uses Background Intelligent Transfer Service (BITS) built into Windows. The distribution point role doesn’t require the optional BITS IIS Server Extension feature to be installed, because the client doesn’t upload information to it.
SCCM Distribution Point Prerequisites
Here is a list of all SCCM distribution point prerequisites.
- Remote Differential Compression
- Application Development: ISAPI Extensions
- Security: Windows Authentication
- IIS 6 Management Compatibility: IIS 6 Metabase and IIS 6 WMI Compatibility.
- PowerShell – On Windows Server 2012 or later, install PowerShell 3.0 or 4.0 as prerequisite before you install the SCCM distribution point.
- Visual C++ Redistributable – Configuration Manager installs the Microsoft Visual C++ 2013 Redistributable Package prerequisites on each computer that hosts a distribution point.
- You can use a cloud service in Microsoft Azure to host a distribution point.
- To support PXE or multicast, Enable a PXE responder on a distribution point without Windows Deployment Service.
- You must also add the SCCM site server computer account to the Local Administrators group server that will be your DP.
SCCM DP Guides
Finally let me suggest you some guides that shall help you to install and configure distribution point role.